Updated Jan 23, 2021
Welcome to the 2021 Maker Challenges list! This is the most comprehensive list of maker challenges on the internet—but I can only add things I know about!
If you have (or know of) a maker challenge that isn’t listed, leave a comment below so it can be added to the list. Or email me here.
This is continuously updated, so check back frequently. Or better yet, subscribe for the monthly reminder directly to your inbox.
I can’t wait to see what you make in 2021.
Note: some links may show crossed out because of an issue with Instagram, but they should still work!
2021 Word Challenge: join host @youcanstartnow with this prompt-based photo challenge on Instagram. Use hashtag #2021WordChallenge. The 4 weekly prompts are exactly the same each month to challenge your creativity.
Free Pattern Wardrobe Challenge: sewist @doctorstitches is challenging herself to build a new spring/summer wardrobe solely from free patterns. You can join the fun using the hashtag #SewingWithDoctorStitches and join her Facebook group.
Reading Women Challenge: join the Reading Women podcast and spend 2021 enjoying 24 themed choices of books by womxn. Share your progress on Instagram with the hashtag #ReadingWomenChallenge. Full details and explanations of each category are available on the Reading Women Podcast site.
January Maker Challenges
30 Days of Creativity: join @kelseyschu_ for a creativity challenge between January and February. While she is using the time to write poetry, you can use these 30 days to flex your creative muscles to create whatever you want. Use the hashtag #30DaysOfCreativity. Runs Jan 22-Feb 21.
- Week 1 Jan 4-10: Organize Your Sewing Space
- Week 2 Jan 11-17: Sew a UFO
- Week 3 Jan 18-24: Make a pattern you already own but have never sewn
- Week 4 Jan 25-31: Sew Something for Your Feet or Head
The 100 Day Project: due to popular demand, the global art project is starting in January instead of April. Use hashtag #The100DayProject and get more info on their website. Starts Jan 31 and runs for 100 days.
Make A Garment A Month: the theme for January is “J’adore January.” Click the link for theme specifics! Then tag hosts @sewing_in_spain and @suestoney and use hashtag #MAGAMSewAlong. Runs through Jan 31.
February Maker Challenges
- Week 5 Feb 1-7: Sew Something for Storage
- Week 6 Feb 8-14: Sew Something with Buttons or Snaps
- Week 7 Feb 15-21 Something Green or Environmentally Friendly
- Week 8 Feb 22-28: Sew Something Other than Fabric
ReFebulous: the sewing challenge hosted by @madebyliesl encourages users to reuse/refashion/repair/recycle garments, fabrics, and more with daily prompts. Use the hashtag #ReFebulous. Runs through February 28.
Zero Waste Sewing: explore low- to zero-waste sewing with @sewcialists. Use the hashtag #SewcialistsZeroWaste to highlight your zero waste pattern use, a low-waste garment, or even scrapbusting projects. Runs through February.
March Maker Challenges
- Week 9 Mar 1-7: Sew Something Timeless and/or Classic
- Week 10 Mar 8-14: Sew a Bag
- Week 11 Mar 15-21: Act of Craftivism
- Week 12 Mar 22-28: Sew Something for Yourself
- Week 13 Mar 29-Apr 4: Upcycle Something
So 50 Pattern Mixing: join the @sewover50 group in mixing patterns (minimum 2) in a new garment. Tag them and use the hashtag #S050PatternMixing for a chance at a random drawing (sponsors pending). Runs March 1-31.
April Maker Challenges
- Week 14 Apr 5-11: Sew Your Newest or Oldest Fabric
- Week 15 Apr 12-18: Sew Something Animal Themed
- Week 16 Apr 19-25: Make Something inspired by a Character
- Week 17 Apr 26-May 2: Sew a Wardrobe Staple
May Maker Challenges
- Week 18 May 3-9: Sew Your Favorite Thing
- Week 19 May 10-16: Face Your Sewing Fears
- Week 20 May 17-23: Procrastination Sew
- Week 21 May 24-30: Sew a Bathing Suit
June Maker Challenges
- Week 22 May 31-Jun 6: Sew Something Rainbow Inspired
- Week 23 Jun 7-13: Sew Something Vintage Inspired
- Week 24 June 14-20: Fix the Fit of a Garment
- Week 25 June 21-27: Sew Something Monochromatic
- Week 26 June 28-July 4: Quilt or Bind Something
July Maker Challenges
- Week 27 July 5-11: Organize Your Sewing Space
- Week 28 July 12-18: Sew a UFO
- Week 29 July 19-25: Sew Something with a Unique Hem or Stitch
- Week 30 July 26-Aug 1: Draft a Pattern
August Maker Challenges
- Week 31 Aug 2-8: Mash Patterns
- Week 32 Aug 9-15: Make Something for Back to School
- Week 33 Aug 16-22: Sew Something with a Zipper or Placket
- Week 34 Aug 23-29: Sew Something Inspired by Art
September Maker Challenges
- Week 35 Aug 30-Sept 5: Sew with a Stash Fabric You are Afraid to Cut Into
- Week 36 Sept 6-12: Sew Something Two Ways
- Week 37 Sept 13-19: Sew Something with a Woven Fabric
- Week 38 Sept 20-26: Embroider or Hand Sew Something
- Week 39 Sept 27-Oct 3: Make Something with a Hood
October Maker Challenges
- Week 40 Oct 4-10: Weave Fabric
- Week 41 Oct 11-17: Try Something New
- Week 42 Oct 18-24: Make or Embellish Your Own Fabric
- Week 43 Oct 25-Oct 31: Sew a Costume
November Maker Challenges
- Week 44 Nov 1-7: Sew Something You Would Normally Purchase
- Week 45 Nov 8-14: Sew an Undergarment
- Week 46 Nov 15-21: Sew Something for the Kitchen
- Week 47 Nov 22-28: Sew Something with a Stretchy Waist
December Maker Challenges
- Week 48 Nov 29-Dec 5: Sew Something Purple
- Week 49 Dec 6-12: Sew Your Inspiration
- Week 50 Dec 13-19: Sew a Gift
- Week 51 Dec 20-26: Random Act of Kindness
- Week 52 Dec 27- Dec 31: Quilt or Bind Something
If you want to return to this, save it for later on Pinterest: