Updated January 14, 2022
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.*
Welcome to the 2022 Maker Challenges list. Looking for DIY inspiration? You’re in the right place! This is the most comprehensive list of making challenges on the internet.
If you have (or know of) a maker challenge that isn’t listed, leave a comment below so it can be added to the list. Or email me here.
This is continuously updated, so check back frequently. Or better yet, subscribe for the monthly reminder directly to your inbox. You’ll also get a nifty free fabric stash inventory sheet.
I can’t wait to see what you make in 2022.
Note: some links may show crossed out because of an issue with Instagram, but they should still work!
- Ongoing Maker Challenges
- January Maker Challenges
- February Maker Challenges
- March Maker Challenges
- April Maker Challenges
- May Maker Challenges
- June Maker Challenges
- July Maker Challenges
- August Maker Challenges
- September Maker Challenges
- October Maker Challenges
- November Maker Challenges
- December Maker Challenges
Ongoing Maker Challenges
Sew Wonderwear 2022: an underwear sewing challenge from Nancy @maker.mother.crone to make any sort of DIY underwear throughout the year, either for yourself or loved one (even animals!). Follow Nancy and use the hashtag #SeWonderwear2022 throughout the year.
Sew Your Colors/Colours 22: join Hales Moore Sewing (@halesmooresewing on IG) sew clothes in colors that suit you or make you feel good. Use free color analysis apps if you’d like. There might be prizes! See all the details on this youtube video and post on Instagram using either hashtag #SewYourColors22 or #SewYourColours22. Tag the host if you’d like your post re-shared. Runs through 2022.
The Mendy Project: join me as I try (for the 3rd year in a row) to finish mending my stack of jeans…and other stuff. Use hashtag #TheMendyProject on Instagram or wherever you post your mending. Runs through 2022.
January Maker Challenges
- Week 1 Jan 3 – 9: Sew Your Oldest or Newest Fabric
- Week 2 Jan 10 – 16: Sew Something with a Button or a Zipper
- Week 3 Jan 17 – 23: Sew a Bathing Suit/Outerwear
- Week 4 Jan 24 – 30: Sew Something for the Home
Jango January: play along with fashion blogger Jango Junio (@jangojunio) by styling your outfits with the daily prompts provided here. Interpret as you see fit! Use hashtag #JangoJanuary. Ends Jan 31.
Make a Garment a Month: the theme for January is “Juicy January.” Click the link for theme specifics. Then tag hosts @sewing_in_spain, @suestoney and guest host @sewmanyflower and use hashtag #MAGAMSewAlong. Ends Jan 31.
My Makes for the Month – January: join host Lou of @sewmuchtodesign for this monthly challenge with prizes. The theme changes each month but the rules remain the same: follow the host and sponsors, share the monthly post in stories for an extra entry, comment what you’re planning to make (tag a friend for an extra entry), then on or before the end of the month, post a one-page collage of all your makes using the hashtag #MyMakesForTheMonth. January’s theme is Joyous January. Ends Jan 31.
Punk Frockers: the community sewing podcast has a monthly theme. January has 2 themes: My Style and Style Swap. Use the first one to post your style and the second to swap a handmade item. Post using the hashtags #pfMyStyle or #pfStyleSwap on Instagram for a chance to win prizes from sponsors. Ends Jan 31.
Sewn with New Look: Minerva is hosting a challenge to show off anything you’ve made with a New Look pattern. 10 winners will win a £50 Minerva vouchers and 5 New Look patterns of their choice, courtesy of the Simplicity McCall’s Group. Use hashtag #SewnWithNewLook when posting on the Minerva site (Instagram posts don’t count!). Read their post for all the details. Ends Jan 31.
February Maker Challenges
- Week 5 Jan 31 – Feb 6: Sew Something Red
- Week 6 Feb 7 – 13: Sew Something with Hearts
- Week 7 Feb 14 – 20: Sew the First or Last Pattern you made
- Week 8 Feb 21 – 27: Sew Something for your Sewing Space
BHM Pattern Designers: celebrate Black History Month with Nateida of @sewnaturaldane to highlight Black pattern designers and fabric companies. Full details can be found on the website, including posts must be made through Instagram with the hashtag #BHMPatternDesigners AND tag @sewnaturaldane to be counted, patterns can be from any Black designer (indie or Big 4), and the garment must have been made in the month of February. Winners will be announced by Nateida on her YouTube channel. Ends Feb 28.
March Maker Challenges
- Week 9 Feb 28 – Mar 6: Clean Your Sewing Space/Complete an UFO/WIP
- Week 10 Mar 7 – 13: Sew Something Practical or Impractical
- Week 11 Mar 14 – 20: Sew Something Geometric
- Week 12 Mar 21 – 27: Sew Something Vintage Inspired
- Week 13 Mar 28 – Apr 3: Repurpose Something
April Maker Challenges
- Week 14 Apr 4 – 10: Sew Something for Travel
- Week 15 Apr 11 – 17: Sew Something that Twirls
- Week 16 Apr 18 – 24: Sew Something for an Animal
- Week 17 Apr 25 – May 1: Sew Something Floral
May Maker Challenges
- Week 18 May 2 – 8: Sew Something Pretty Enough to Display
- Week 19 May 9 – 15: Sew a Bag or Wallet
- Week 20 May 16 – 22: Sew Your Favorite Pattern
- Week 21 May 23 – 29: Sew Something to Show Appreciation
June Maker Challenges
- Week 22 May 30 – June 5: Sew Something Rainbow Inspired
- Week 23 June 6 – 12: History bounding week
- Week 24 June 13 – 19: Sew Something without a Pattern
- Week 25 June 20 – 26: Mix Prints
- Week 26 June 27 – July 3: Clean Your Sewing Space/Sew a UFO/WIP
July Maker Challenges
- Week 27 July 4 – 10: Upcycle Week
- Week 28 July 11 – 17: Sew Something to Make Sewing Easier
- Week 29 July 18 – 24: Hack or Mash a Pattern
- Week 30 July 25 – 31: Sew a Bathing Suit/Outerwear
August Maker Challenges
- Week 31 Aug 1 – 7: Embroider/Embellish Week
- Week 32 Aug 8 – 14: Sew Something for School
- Week 33 Aug 15 – 21: Sew Something with Stuffing/Batting
- Week 34 Aug 22 – 28: Alter or Hem Something
- Week 35 Aug 29 – Sept 4: Clean Your Sewing Space/Sew a UFO/WIP
September Maker Challenges
- Week 36 Sept 5 – 11: Sew Something for your Feet
- Week 37 Sept 12 – 18: Sew Something Inspired by a Book or TV Character
- Week 38 Sept 19 – 25: Sew Something with Vinyl or Canvas
- Week 39 Sept 26 – Oct 2: Make Something Reversible
October Maker Challenges
- Week 40 Oct 3 – 9: Sew Something Green or Environmentally Friendly
- Week 41 Oct 10 – 16: Sew a Costume
- Week 42 Oct 17 – 23: Use a fun or interesting stitch
- Week 43 Oct 24 – 30: Sew Something for a Family Member
November Maker Challenges
- Week 44 Oct 31 – Nov 6: Sew Something Simple
- Week 45 Nov 7 – 13: Sew Something with Ruffles or Lace
- Week 46 Nov 14 – 20: Sew Something Tiny or Huge
- Week 47 Nov 21 – 27: Sew Something for the Kitchen
December Maker Challenges
- Week 48 Nov 28 – Dec 4: Sew Something New
- Week 49 Dec 5 -11: Sew a Holiday Gift
- Week 50 Dec 12 -18: Sew Something for your Head/Ears
- Week 51 Dec 19 – 25: Sew Something for Yourself
- Week 52 Dec 26 – Jan 1: End of the Year Giveaway!
Save me on Pinterest for later!